When clients are traveling in and out of the US I tell them to make sure that they get a stamp in their passport. This is especially true for Canadian clients who don’t always get an I-94 stapled into their passports.

But here’s a new one, even for me: a client got their entry stamp on their BOARDING PASS. You know, that piece of paper you throw out as soon as you get home from a trip? That one.

Luckily this client is a bit of a hoarder so we still have the entry stamp to include in the package to establish his legal presence in the United States. But this isn’t always the case. If you are in the midst of considering a change in immigration status, and are traveling, please please please make sure that you have the entry stamp … and that it’s actually in your passport.

If not, you may need to make a trip to your local Customs and Boarder Protection office, with proof of your last entry to get that stamp or I-94 form if it should be requested by USCIS.

And, as always, contact an immigration professional!

By: Zoe Kevork. Principal Attorney.